The commercial paua fishing industry wants access over 30km of coastline around Otago and Southland that is currently closed to them. They want this because they have overfished the existing 900+km of coastline they already have access to in the PAU 5D fishing area.
The areas that they are interested in include the Otago Peninsula, Waipapa Point, Clutha River Mouth and the Bluff Hill area. These areas are regularly used by recreational paua fishers and our customary members. Allowing commercial fishing in these areas will have a huge impact on paua populations, and will effectively destroy ‘the peoples fishery’, potentially forever.
We need to act now to protect our recreational paua fishery for future generations.
Ways You Can Help:
1. Write a letter to your local MP or Nathan Guy - Minister for Primary Industries. You can submit a letter via the form on the left or on the Send a Letter page.
2. Share this site on facebook, twitter, anywhere!
3. Get in touch through our contact form if you have any specific skills that could help with our campaign.
4. Keep up to date by joining our mailing list.
5. Join the discussion in our Facebook Group.